Saturday, May 02, 2009

PBW in Audio

Grace Chapel Inn SeriesAlthough it's not technically my first audio book (I have three others out there that were made for can't-talk-about-it WFH jobs) Going to the Chapel was the first Christian fiction novel I wrote. As part of a planned WFH series, my story assignment was to hire and introduce a new minister to the community; other than and the set characters of the series, the rest was my idea.

In real life I worked for several ministers and churches, so when I tackled this story I was able to show characters based on the real deal as well as the actual process that goes on behind the scenes when a church is looking for a new head pastor. There are also the many practical and emotional transitions church members and leaders have to make when a long-term, much-loved pastor dies (which is the event that kicked off this series and required my assigned plot point.) The fact that they messed up my pseudonym during the intro and on the product is just one of those oops things that happens; Sherri Berger does a nice job of reading the story.

I promised to give away some copies as soon as I got in some extras, so in comments to this post name a job or experience you've had in real life that you think would make interesting reading (or if you're drawing a blank, just throw your name in the magic hat) by midnight EST today (Saturday, May 2, 2009.) I'll draw three names at random from everyone who participates and send the winners a signed* CD audio version of my Rebecca Kelly novel Going to the Chapel. This giveaway is open to everyone on the planet, even if you've won something here at PBW in the past.

*Just FYI, I'll be signing the cover art insert for the CD case.

12 comments:

  1. An experience that might make good reading is my house burning there was tears, scary & happy moments, panic attacks, blank thoughts, and many other emotions.
    Please put my name into the magic hat. I have never read anything of yours under Rebecca Kelly I'd like to try it.

    Rain D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the release!

    I worked in a cemetery office one summer. It was an unusual few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica Russell8:19 AM

    As a member of the Air Force, I worked with the department of defense as an instructor for many years. You wouldn't believe the politics that went on in the background.

    Not only did we have to teach, and teach well, but we also had to learn how to traverse the political minefields of upper management who didn't like each other.

    It made for interesting people watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I manage a hotel, if I could write about what goes on here! like the man this morning who just complained to me about his tub not draining all night. He let it fill to the top. It probably would have helped if he had thought to pull the drain stop...

    ...and I just scrolled down to see what my word verification is, somebody must not be having a good morning because it's 'schitypi.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 AM

    nothing interesting much happens to me. But my mom is on the Church council and she and I would both love to here this story.

    Suelder

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most memorable were the transvestites I 'met' when I worked at Wilsons--The Leather Experts. One was in complete drag and I had no idea she was a he until we were almost through a difficult transaction (check was denied three times and he/she wasn't happy). The other was apparently still in the closet, but he not only tried on a leather miniskirt, but also came out of the dressing room and asked if it looked OK. His black dress socks and men's shoes sort of ruined the effect, and he didn't buy the matching vest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked for several corporate law firms. Some stories there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. M Morris4:04 PM

    I was homeless in Laughlin Nevada for a year. I live in a 49 International Panel van and walk to work everyday. It was an interesting time in my life. I became more open-minded and learned that it was okay to ask for help when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greenhouse day worker. You would not believe the sheer number of characters you encounter at a job that would seem completely monotonous- the plant thieves, the children who pick rare flowers, the animals that claim some of the flower beds as their own. Every day's an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:10 PM

    I have worked as a sightseeing guide aboard the red double-decker buses in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been in "church work" for almost 20 years now - in the capacity of receptionist, secretary to children, youth, young adult & music pastors, was the director of a bus program to the community that served nearly 300 children weekly, as graphic artist, office manager, and now church administrator. I am also a writer in my private life, and have *often* said that some day I'm going to write a book about my church work experiences. Some of the stuff I'd have to tell, you wouldn't believe ... ;p

    — Bonz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the stories that could be told from working in restaurants, but it may not be such an interesting story telling platform for others, so I'll toss my name in the hat.

    ReplyDelete